Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Learning calligraphy: 4 blogs (and 1 magazine) you NEED to check out right now!

 
Happy Tuesday, Lovelies!
 

I have been calligraphy obsessed since I was a little girl. It was always so beautiful and so perfect I felt that that level of artistry was, well, unattainable. I'd heard it takes years and years to master AND to top it off I'm left handed so that brings along its own set of problems (Am I right, Lefties?). I couldn't write like that!
 
Fast forward to a few months ago. I'm standing in my local Michael's Craft Store (my favorite pastime) and I spot a beginner calligraphy set. I came prepared with coupons and my Michael's iPhone app so I had no excuse not to buy it. I picked it up, brought it to the register, paid the cashier and excitedly rushed home to try it out.
 
Let me tell you, it was not easy teaching myself. Learning this craft on your own can be a little overwhelming - there are angles to think about, light pressure on upstrokes, more pressure on down strokes and NIBS (so many nibs), and different styles of fonts to learn! However, it has been a fabulous lesson in patience. It has taught me to be gentler with myself when I have the courage to try something new and the feeling of accomplishment I get when I see what my hands have made is really wonderful..."Did I really make something that pretty?" My non-calligraphy handwriting doesn't even come close.
 
I have practiced (nearly) every day and I have seen great, great improvement. I am currently waiting for my newest pen and nibs to arrive in the mail from Amazon! I can't wait to learn how to write with an oblique pen. Oh, the possibilities!
 
Without further ado, here are my picks for the Top five blogs you need to follow if you aspire to master the art of calligraphy:
 
 
The Postman's Knock - Aside from having a lovely site full of artsy illustration and watercolor tutorials, Lindsey has several free, downloadable calligraphy font worksheets - such as the Beth Style, the Kaitlin Style, and the Flourish Formal Style - that have been invaluable to my learning.
 
Coordinately Yours - Miss Julie Blanner has one of my favorite tutorials on beginner calligraphy! Her photos are bright and pretty and I love the fact that she gives us a printable practice grid for all of our misshapen alphabets!
 
Oh So Beautiful Paper - Nole Garey has put together the most beautiful blog chock full of head spinning inspiration. I come for the calligraphy...I stay for the cocktails!
 
Dasherie Magazine - An entire magazine dedicated to calligraphy!? No brainer. I bought it.
 
Laura Hooper Calligraphy - Laura has stunning photos up on her blog that showcase her incredible hand lettering talents. She also has her fantastic calligraphy workshop that she teaches all over the country. I have been day dreaming about attending her upcoming workshop this December in NYC.
 
 
I hope you find these blogs to be as helpful as I have!
 
Remember, beauty should not be rushed. Instead, it should be relished, stroke by stroke, line by line.
 
 

XO,
 
~ Cristina ~

No comments:

Post a Comment